Home Health 92pc in Dhaka infected
with Omicron: icddr,b
Health - February 13, 2022

92pc in Dhaka infected
with Omicron: icddr,b

Staff Correspondent: icddr,b (International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh) said that Omicron, a variant of Covid-19 or coronavirus, was found in 92 percent of the patients infected with the deadly virus in Dhaka. Delta, another variant, was found in the body of the remaining 8 percent.
According to a press release issued by the research institute icddr,b on Saturday, the information was obtained by examining samples of 24 COVID cases in the virology laboratory of the institute from January 15 to 28.
It is said that two subtypes of the Omicron variant have been found. Of these, 86 percent are BA2 and the remaining 14 percent are BA1 type.
In the last week of January, the new variant of COVID, Omicron, predominated over the Delta variant in Dhaka.
On December 9 last year, Health Minister Zahid Maleque said that two women cricketers in Bangladesh were detected with Omicron variant. The two returned from Zimbabwe.
Since then, the virus, first discovered in South Africa, has been on the rise in Bangladesh as well as in other countries. Detection rates were also marked recorded. The number of coronavirus cases in the country has been on the rise since the first week of January due to Omicron. In the last 12 days, the number of COVID patients in the country has increased by one lakh.
According to the website of the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza (GISAID) in Germany, so far 242 people in Bangladesh have been infected with the Omicron variant. However, the Health Minister and all the concerned think that Omicron is currently dominating.
5,023 patients were identified in 24 hours on Saturday. The number of cases has increased to 19,04,826. So far, 28,791 people have died of coronavirus in the country.

Check Also

Govt plans to borrow Tk 2.5 tr for budgetary support in FY 2025

Mahfuja Mukul: Government’s dependence on debt to meet development and operational expendi…